At a Glance : Paying Taxes
2019 Ranking: 126
2018 Distance to Frontier Score*: 63.94 (unchanged from DB2018)
Regional Average (East Asia Pacific): 72.98
More information on Myanmar’s performance in Paying Taxes -Click Here
* The distance to frontier (DTF) measure shows the distance of each economy to the “frontier,” which represents the best performance observed on each of the indicators across all economies in the Doing Business sample since 2005. An economy’s distance to frontier is reflected on a scale from 0 to 100, where 0 represents the lowest per-formance and 100 represents the frontier. The ease of doing business ranking ranges from 1 to 190. (Source; World Bank)
Why does it matter?
Taxes are the price we pay for a stable, more equitable society
- Funding for social programs and public investments.
- Key to building effective government.
But tax rates and burdensome tax administration remain top obstacle to business
- To choose level of tax rates and tax base.
- To design tax compliance system that encourages taxpayer participation
Paying Taxes in Myanmar
|Tax or Mandatory Contribution||Payment (Numbers)||Time (Hours)||Statutory Tax Rate||Tax Base||Total Tax and Contribu-tion Rate (% of Profit)|
|Corporate income tax||4||64||25% as of April 1, 2013||Taxable profits||26.28|
|Stamp duty on property transfer||1||4%||Point of sale||2.42|
|Property tax||1||13%||Land and building||1.75|
|Capital gains tax||1||Net profit 10%||Capital gains||0.51|
|Employer paid social security contributions||12||111||2%||Gross salary||0.26|
|Employee paid social security contributions (jointly)||0||3%||0.00|
|Employer paid monthly social security contributions for Employer and Employee in jointly||12||15 min for one time per month and 3hr per year||3% for Employer and 2% for Employee||Gross salary of Employee||31.22|